Jan 25, 2007

The Mango Tree...a symbol of Love



I recently became quite addicted to Mangoes - specifically “dried” mangoes. Now, I’m not normally fond of dried fruits in fact I hate it BUT mangoes are the exception to the rule. My co-worker brought a bag to the office a little while ago and I can’t seem to get enough of that juicy, orangey, exotic and chewy fruit. Mmm mmmm good.
As with anything I do, I normally like to investigate the benefits of what exactly I am putting inside my body (to counteract the chemicals and other shit that I put in as well). What I found out about Mangoes was that they’re not only rich in vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants, or that they are high in fiber but low in calories and sodium, or that they are rich in vitamin A and have good amounts of vitamins B and C as well as Potassium, Calcium and Iron. What I found out is that there is much more to know about Mangoes and its myths and stories and so I thought I would share. I will never look at a mango the same way and I think that from now on instead of giving someone roses I would give them a nice large Mango:)

Below are some interesting facts and myths that have been gathered over the years.
• The mango is known as the 'king of fruit' throughout the world.
• The name 'mango' is derived from the Tamil word 'mangkay' or 'man-gay'. When the Portuguese traders settled in Western India they adopted the name as 'manga'.
• Mangos originated in East India, Burma and the Andaman Islands bordering the Bay of Bengal. Around the 5th century B.C., Buddhist monks are believed to have introduced the mango to Malaysia and eastern Asia - legend has it that Buddha found tranquility and repose in a mango grove. Persian traders took the mango into the Middle East and Africa, from there the Portuguese brought it to Brazil and the West Indies. Mango cultivars arrived in Florida in the 1830's and in California in the 1880's.
• The Mango tree plays a sacred role in India; it is a symbol of love and some believe that the Mango tree can grant wishes.
• In the Hindu culture hanging fresh mango leaves outside the front door during Ponggol (Hindu New Year) and Deepavali is considered a blessing to the house.
• Mango leaves are used at weddings to ensure the couple bears plenty of children (though it is only the birth of the male child that is celebrated - again by hanging mango leaves outside the house).
• Hindus may also brush their teeth with mango twigs on holy days (be sure to rinse well and spit if you try this at home - toxic).
• Many Southeast Asian kings and nobles had their own mango groves; with private cultivars being sources of great pride and social standing, hence began the custom of sending gifts of the choicest mangos.
• The Thais like to munch mango buds, with Sanskrit poets believing they lend sweetness to the voice.

Symbol of Love
The mango shape is also a symbol of love and hence, widely used in mehendi designs. The mango tree flowers during spring and when it is laden with blossom, the cuckoo sings in the tree. It is thus associated with the season of love in traditional poetry.

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

You'll probably kill me for leaving a quote but Bruce Cockburn wrote a great song about "mangoes" (or at least the metaphor)

http://cockburnproject.net/songs&music/mango.html